Samasource is an award-winning social enterprise with a huge vision-- to connect the one billion people living in poverty around the world to work using technology. Samasource combines the fast-paced, results-driven culture of a tech start-up with the passion for alleviating global poverty of a non-profit. If you join us, you will be part of a dynamic team that is passionate about making an impact. Samasource aims to ensure all human beings can afford to live with dignity, through work, health and education.
Samasource was founded in 2008, reached sustainability in 2016, and has employed over 8,000 people, moving 35,000 people out of poverty. Samasource is headquartered in San Francisco, CA with major offices in Kenya, Uganda, India and the Netherlands.
San Francisco, preferred, but open to qualified remote candidates.
Samasource’s founding team is looking for an innovative and entrepreneurial engineer to lead our team of 8 to 10 geographically distributed engineers in building the software that enables our business. As a rule, we prioritize getting things done over perfectionism . We’re looking for somebody who has built agile, results oriented engineering teams and taken products to market before.
- Accountable to deliver Samasource’s product roadmap and engineering vision Work with management to set engineering priorities and resource needs
- Aggressively grow a team of talented engineers to achieve our company’s vision.
- Hire talent into the team as the need arises.
- Successfully release product features in sprints of two weeks or less
- Be a strong communicator of engineering goals, priorities and execution to Samasource board, management and key stake holders
- Write elegant, high quality, unit-tested code (be prepared to send in samples of work that you're proud of)
- Unblock the engineers to ensure that the features and product roadmap is delivered on time.
- Be creative and get things done to onboard new customers to Samasource
Requirements: Professional Attributes
- 8+ years of engineering experience with at least 3 years as a manager of engineers.Shipping products regularly and highly accountable for delivery of the team.
- Recent experience successfully translating company goals into concrete, measurable engineering deliverables and leading a team of at least 8 software engineers
- Recent experience building and managing remote teams of engineers (offshore or onshore)
- Prior experience using lightweight project management tools, (e.g., writing a product roadmap, using Pivotal Tracker to manage more granular features)
- Building scalable products in the cloud.
- Comfortable operating in a Linux environment
- Strong working knowledge of unit testing frameworks
- Working with customers to understand the technical needs and requirements.
- Working in Machine Learning/ AI field would be a huge plus.
Requirements: Personal Attributes
- Aggressive growth orientation
- Strong orientation toward finding and implementing solutions
- Deep commitment to building an ethical, world-class company with technology at its core
- At home in a very fast-paced environment with a high level of ambiguity
- Willingness to make this startup a major part of your life for the next two years
- Engaging and motivating leader
- Eligibility to work in the United States