Samaschool, a program of Samasource, is the first non-profit focused on equipping people to earn a living wage through independent / “gig” work. We develop and provide training to low-income job-seekers and train-the-trainer programming for workforce development providers, community colleges, and city governments. Our program prepares trainees to obtain and succeed at independent work and to leverage this experience to achieve their career goals. Our unique approach to workforce development has led us to being named one of the 13 most innovative schools in the world. Samaschool is a program of Samasource, a social enterprise that trains and employs people in digital work internationally. For more information visit www.samaschool.org.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Samaschool, the Director Development will be responsible for building a successful fundraising program for Samaschool.
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed for an initial $2 million budget through the solicitation of individual, institutional, and government funds. She/he will expand and diversify Samaschool's donor base and pipeline.
It is expected that the amount raised by Samaschool will increase substantially in future years as the Director of Development strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
Location of the role is negotiable, preference for New York, NY.
- Partner with the Managing Director to design and implement a comprehensive development strategy
- Collaborate with the Managing Director and CFO to develop and implement programmatic financial plans
- Oversee grant writing and reporting
- Research funding sources and trends to help position Samasource ahead of major funding changes
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present analyses to senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors; build long-term relationships with funding sources
- Elevate awareness of Samaschool’s programs through storytelling
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- 6+ years of professional experience in fundraising
- Demonstrated success in a development function: tangible experience cultivating and managing relationships with multiple donor sources
- Experience managing a $2+ million portfolio
- Strong network and knowledge of individual and institutional donors
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within Samasource
- Tech savvy and knows how to use digital channels to elevate Samaschool’s presence and support its development goals
- High energy and passion for Samaschool’s mission
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills